The sheen of your wood floor is a matter of personal preference, and your decision will take into account many factors, including decor and use. Generally speaking, gloss finishes offer the most shine and will reflect the most light, semi-gloss finishes offer some shine and will reflect some light, and matte finishes offer the least shine and will reflect the least light. In order to choose the right hardwood flooring finish for your space, consider the following:
- Wear and tear: The less sheen your floor has, the less you will notice small scratches and other wear that is normal with wood floors. For example, a highly-reflective glossy finish may not be the best option for high-traffic areas.
- Pets: Homeowners with pets tend to find that, although they can show more wear, glossy finishes are easier to clean following pet accidents and muddy paw prints.
- Repairs: With regard to hardwood flooring, matte finishes are easier to spot repair than glossy finishes.
- Maintenance and Cleaning: For wood floors, glossy finishes are lower- maintenance than matte finishes, and they are less-prone to staining.
- Style: What look are you hoping to achieve with your new flooring? Matte finishes for hardwood floors can provide a warmer look, while glossy finishes can provide a clean and sleek feel.
Regardless of which finish you choose, the experts at Urban Design Floors are here to help you with your new flooring project from design to installation. Contact us today to learn more!